Sunday, November 26, 2017

Critical reflection

Critical Reflection

Over the course of the past weeks of the module, I have learnt so much regarding communication, be it written or spoken. Examples being able to write more professionally, and to work as an effective team player.

Looking back at the first blogpost entry, I described myself as a confident speaker and an effective writer when it comes to technical reports. That is mainly because I came from a business course before joining SIT, where such presentations and report assignments were commonplace. At the very start of the lesson I thought there was not much else I could gain in terms of communication.

However, towards the end of the module, I couldn’t be more have been more grateful, for all the friends I have made, as well as all the knowledge I have gained. I have to work as a team player for my group, Eldervists, where we spent so much time together, trying to complete the project to the best of our efforts. I have thus learnt thorough the project that everyone has their own areas of expertise, and there is always something we can learn from another.

Thinking back, I was extremely complacent and conceited. It is only after the classes in Effective Communication, where I discovered I have so much to improve on, namely my presentation skills and eloquence. It will be something that I will continue to strive to improve on.

The past paragraphs were just ramblings of what I have learnt from the module. The main takeaway from the module for me however, is simply that communication extends beyond just writing and speaking well. It is the ability to connect with others, and to uphold professionalism in the way we present ourselves.

2 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks for this self-honest reflection. You explain how you came to realize that you had previously judged your skills more favourably than they should have been viewed. That's a serious step toward self awareness. I appreciate the learning in that, and wish you the best for your future.

hoyongquan said...

@JunPeng
Thank you for your kind advice.

@Brad
Thank you for the lessons, guidance and insights for the past few weeks.